The History of the Building
This lot was
originally combined with 3512
Baring St. as part of a lot numbered
“Circa 1880, two-and-one-half story brick Victorian house with front gable piercing slate-shingled mansard. Elaborately milled Victorian porch; terra cotta string course and frieze.”
(Inventory of Buildings in Powelton from the application submitted to the National Register of Historic Places, 1985)
1880, Oct. 27: Title transferred to Kate J. Patton by Samuel A. Coyle and Elizabeth A. Coyle, his wife
1886, Dec. 11: Title transferred to Sallie A. Brown by Kate J. Patton
1889 Directory: William H. Brown house at 3510 Baring - business: 233 S. 4th
They previously lived at 3601 Baring St.
1891 Directory: Brown, George H., asst supervisor, h 3510 Baring
The 1892 Bromely Atlas shows the lot divided, 3510 is there, but 3512 is not.
1892: William H. Brown joined a law suit aimed at stopping the introduction of electric trolleys on Baring St. to replace the old horse-drawn streetcars. (See the Powelton History Blog for details.)
1895 Directory: George H. Brown, supervisor
Wm. H. Brown, chief engineer, Broad St Station
1898 Blue Book: W. H. Brown was a member of the Powelton Club. (For a brief history of the club, see the Powelton History Blog.)
William H. Brown 64 Civil engineer; born 1836
Sarah A. Brown 53 Married 37 years, six children, three surviving
Alice M. Brown 22 Single
Mary Brenner 22
William H. Brown - “Chief Engineer of Pennsylvania
Railroad: born In Lancaster County.
(Who's Who in
1905, Apr. 3: Title transferred to Elizabeth C. McManus, wife of Patritius by Sallie A. Brown
Patritius and Elizabeth McManus lived next door at 3512 Baring St.
1906 Blue Book: Mr. & Mrs. William H. Brown
Joseph Lamorelle 54 Judge; married twice
Mary F. Lamorelle 44 First marriage, married 19 years
Joseph A. Lamorelle 18
Margaret H. Lamorelle 16
Frank W. Lamorelle 14
Mary S. Lamorelle 11
(ED 492, 4B)
In 1900, they lived in Radnor.
his Draft Registration card for WWI, he listed his occupation as Auditor,
Weightman Penfield Estate. “William Weightman died in 1904 and left virtually his entire
estate of $70,000,000 to his daughter Mrs. Anna N.W.Walker, who later became
the wife of Frederick C. Penfield.
Deceased was the largest owner of real estate in
Joseph A. Lamorelle, 1917 (EvPubBulletin)
1917, Oct. 5: “Lamorelle, After Assuming Office, Admits Son to Practice
"Judge Lamorelle, who succeeds to the presidency of the Orphans' Court, because of the recent death of President Dallett, was sworn in today, after his commission from the Governor was duly proclaimed by the court crier. The ceremony was attended by all the other members of yhe Orphans' Court, Judge Sando, of Lackawanna County, and many prominent attorneys.
"The first motion made to President Judge Lamorelle came from Joseph I McAleer, who petitioned for the admission to practice of the Judge's son, Joseph A. Lamorelle, lieutenant 310th Field Artillery, who obtained a leave of absence to be regularly admitted to the bar." (Ev. Pub. Bulletin, Oct. 5, 1917)
Joseph F. Lamorelle 64 Judge of
Mary L. Lamorelle 55
Margaret H. Lamorelle 25
Mary L. Lamorelle 21
(ED 686, 3A)
In 1930, they lived in Overbrook.
“JOSEPH LAMORELLE, JURIST, DEAD AT 81; President Judge of Orphans' Court in Philadelphia and a Bar Leader There. Assumed Bench in 1906. Appointed by Gov. Pennypacker and Re-elected Since – Began Law Practice in 1881.
“Long known as a leader of the
“For some years he was associated with the firm of Jones, Carson, & Beeber, specializing in corporation and Orphans’ Court law. Upon the dissolution of that firm in 1901, he joined with the late Hampton L. Carson in the practice of law and continued that association until his appointment to the Orphans’ Court bench in 1906 by Governor Pennypacker.
“Judge Lamorelle was elected for a ten-year term and had been re-elected since. He became president judge in 1918 following the death of President Judge Morris Dallett.
“One of Judge Lamorelle’s decisions was commented upon widely. In an adjudication of the estate of Washington H. Mendenhall, who died in 1898, the judge declared his inability to rule, legally, whether a 75-year-old man or a woman 73 years old would have children in the future.
“Although ill health had confined him to his home frequently during the last year, Judge Lamorelle had kept up with his work, passing decrees and adjudications and signing other court papers.
“He is survived by his widow, Mrs. Mary L. Lamorelle; two sons, Joseph A. Lamorelle of this city and Frank F. Lamorelle of Cleveland, and two daughters, Miss Margaret H. Lamorelle of Merion and Mrs. Louise L. Roat of Overbrook.”
(New York Times, Feb. 19, 1937, p 19.)
1929, Feb. 7: Title transferred to Dominican House of Retreat and Catholic Missions (?) by Leo A. McManus, et al.
1930 & 1940: 3510 was connected to 3512 Baring by a covered walkway between the porches. The residents of both houses were enumerated at 3512.