The History of the Building
boundary of the houses on the northern side of
3621-3631: “Circa 1870, three-story red brick Victorian rowhouse; two registers with segmental stone lintels, decorative carved wood cornices and brackets. All but 3621 and 3623 have first-floor projecting bays and all but 3625 (Victorian porch) have circa 1905 Colonial Revival porches.”
(Inventory of Buildings in Powelton from the application submitted to the National Register of Historic Places, 1985)
1869, February: Deeds for 3621-3623
1870, March: Deeds for 3621-3631
1871, March: Deed transferred from Thomas Foster to Jacob & Aman William Aman.
1871, April: Deed transferred from Jacob & Aman William Aman to Samuel H. Stinson.
1873-‘75 Directories: Samuel H. Stinson
He was not listed in the 1872 directory. The 1871 directory lists him as a “carermaker” living at 722 N. 22nd St. The 1877 directory lists him living at 3603 Hamilton St. where his family lived to about 30 years.
1876, June: Deed transferred from Samuel Henry Stinson to Joseph H. Richardson.
1877, March: Deed transferred from Joseph H. Richardson to Hugh F. Maguire.
1878 Directory (Fall, 1877): Hugh F. Maguire of Meyer & Dickinson
The 1877 directory his his home as 316 N. 38th St.
Hugh Maguire 35 Com. dry Goods; born in Ireland
Jane Maguire 29 Parents
Ellen Maguire 7
Jenny Maguire 5
James Maguire 2
Ellen Maguire 68 Mother; widowed; born in
Mary Maguire 24 Sister; born in
(ED 487, 22)
1881, October: Deed transferred from Samuel Henry Stinson to Augustus Wilcox.
1887 Directory: Arthur
Wilson, cashier, 235 Chestnut, h 3621
In 1891, Arthur bought 3611 Hamilton St.
1891 Directory: Henry Garretson, salesman
The 1889 Directory lists him at 3603 Baring St.
Henry Garretson 47 Salesman [rest unreadable]; born in N.Y., father in N.Y., mother in N.J.; renting
Hattie E. Garretson 36 Married 15 years, 5 children, 4 surviving; father born in Mass., mother in N.J.
Wallace W. Garretson 13 Born in N.J.
Helen Garretson 10 Born in N.J.
Joseph W. Garretson 7
Mary Ada Garretson 4
Mary Young 23 Servant;
(ED 543, 10B)
1909, October: Deed transferred from The Providence Life and Trust Co. Esc. & Trustee under last will of Augustin Wilcox to Edward F. & Elizabeth L. (wife) Shallow.
Edward F. Shallow 54 Mechanic; born in Ireland, immigrated in 1862, is a naturalized citizen
Elizabeth C. Shallow 56 Married 35 years, 10 children, 7 surviving; born in Ireland, immigrated in 1864
James J. Shallow 31 Salesman for printing co.
Elisabeth C. J. Shallow 27
Anna M. Shallow 25 Stenographer for telephone co.
Thomas A. Shallow 23
Frank S. Shallow 21
(ED 492, 2B)
they lived at
Their oldest son, John J. Shallow, married Margaret G. Daly in 1903. She lived with her parents at 676 N. 42nd St. In 1910, they lived at 3620 Brandywine and in 1920 they lived at 3301 Spring Garden St. He was a steam fitter for the railroad.
Their second son, Edward F. Shallow, Jr., married Agnes A. Foley of 3422 Brandywine. In 1920, 1930, and 1940, they lived at 3709 Spring Garden St. He started as an inspector for disability insurance and became an insurance broker.
1911, April 24: Marriage license issued to Anna H. Shallow of 3621 Hamilton St. and William J. Bowden of 3417 Haverford Ave.
In 1930, they lived at 305 N. 37th St.
1912, Nov. 10: E. F. Shallow advertised to find a top and wind shield for a Stanley steamer runabout. (Phila. Inquirer)
1917, Phila. Inquirer: “Eligible for City Post…. Nineteen physicians qualified for appointment to the post of district surgeon in the Bureau of Police. The position is compensated under a fee system. The eligible list... was as follows: Thomas A. Shallows, 3621 Hamilton street….” (Jan. 3)
Shallow 69 Electrical engineer; born in
Elizabeth C. Shallow 37
Thomas A. Shallow 33 Physician in general practice
Frank L. Shallow 31 Lawyer
(ED 686, 3B)
1920, Phila. Inquirer: “Medical Expert will Assist in Trial of Youthful Offenders. Judge Brown Names Dr. Thomas A. Shallows to Act as Advisor in Juvenile Court.
“A man of medicine sat by the side of the man of law and assisted in the administration of justice in a Philadelphia court yesterday.
“The union of the medical and judicial functions took place in the juvenile division of the Municipal Court when President Judge Charles L. Brown became the first Philadelphia jurist to summon a physician to sit with him in judgment, and Dr. Thomas A. Shallows, chief physician of the medical department of the court, and one of the most distinguished of the younger surgeons of Philadelphia, the first of his profession to assume the function here. The practice inaugurated yesterday is to be followed regularly at every Wednesday juvenile hearing.
“If circumstances warrant, he will make an immediate examination to determine whether the offense which brought the youngster before the bar of justice was engendered of a physical defect and therefore not one which should bring down unspecified punishment on a youthful head.
“The first day of the experiment afforded two illustrations of its usefulness. A child was brought in, whose brain functions were so disturbed as to make him undesirable in the neighborhood. Medical investigation, coupled with the legal, brought out that five years before, when only five years old, the little fellow had touched a live wire and the shock had paralyzed his right arm and affected the brain. Treatment at the institution at Elwyn will cure the child, Dr. Shallows believes, and on his recommendation arrangement were made to send him there. The medical department of the court will keep watch on his progress.
“Another case was that of a sixteen year-old boy who had been committed to the Spring City Institution for the Feeble-Minded at the age of ten. Parents appeared in court, claiming the right to take the child home with them. The doctor at the institution declared the child should remain. Dr. Shallow, investigating, found that in six months more of treatment, the boy will be cured and may go home.
“It was pointed out by Judge Brown that the new medico-judicial system will enable him to make immediate disposition of cases which heretofore were subject to delay pending medical investigation.
“Dr. Shallow is chief assistant to Dr. J. Chalmers DaCosta, professor of surgery at Jefferson Medical College.” (March 18)
Before he became head of the medical department of Commonwealth Court, Dr. Shallows was a captain in the Medical Corps of the U.S. Army. (Inquirer, Jan. 10, 1921)
About 1921, Thomas Shallow married Myrtle J. Luman, a registered nurse at Jefferson Medical College Hospital. In 1920, she was living at the Hospital. She was from Londonderry, Bedford Co., Pa., one of the ten children of farmer Aaron Luman and his wife Catherine. In 1930, Thomas and Myrtle lived at 3942 Chestnut St. with her sister Frances. In 1940, they lived at 1611 Spruce St. In 1949, he married Frances Danila.
Edward F. Shallow 80 Electrical engineer; widowed; born in N. Ireland, immigrated in 1863; owner, house valued at $3,500
Elizabeth C. Shallow 48
Frank L. Shallow 42 Attorney in a law office
(ED 398, 5B)
1968 Directory: F. S. Osborn, Jr.
Revised 3/13/2013 About Powelton Village